How to pay your income tax online?

How to pay your income tax online?

If you are a salaried individual, your employer probably might have deducted the your income tax dues you via TDS.

If you are self-employed or have income beyond salary (such as rental income), the taxes deducted at source may not be enough for your income tax payment.

What do you need to make an online income tax payment?

To pay income tax online through your bank, you can use NetBanking or your Debit Card. You cannot use a Credit Card to pay taxes.

If you don’t have an account in one of the designated banks, you can use an account that belongs to your spouse or friend to make an online tax payment. But remember to write your PAN in the challan.

You can even make income tax payments offline at a branch of any of the designated banks. Fill up your challan, go to the nearest branch, and pay. Before you begin payment, you must calculate how much tax you have to pay.

How to pay income tax online step-by-step

Choose Challan No 280 from the list of challans.

Choose Other Than Companies (if you are filing as an individual).

Fill in details of your Pan Card, Assessment Year, Address, Email ID and Mobile No.

Click Proceed.

On the next page, make sure the name displayed is yours.

Choose the self-assessment tax in the Tax Payable Option (if you are paying tax for the previous financial year on Aug 31).

If you have a NetBanking account, choose your Bank.

Click proceed.

You will be taken to the Bank’s NetBanking login page.

Login to NetBanking.

Fill in your income tax amount and surcharge or cess if any. Your total tax amount will automatically be calculated.

Click pay.

You will get Challan Identification Number (CIN). Save it.You will need to enter the CIN when you file your returns. You can recover the CIN from your bank for up to 90 days.

  • Print the online Challan instantaneously

The information provided in this article is generic in nature and for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for specific advice in your own circumstances. You are recommended to obtain specific professional advice from before you take any/refrain from any action. All information is subject to the relevant Act, Rules, Regulations, Policy Statements, etc, of the Income Tax Department and subject to change. Viewers are advised to verify the content from original Government Acts/Rules/Notifications etc.

Scroll to Top