Legal status of a land is the most important factor that needs to be considered before buying a property. To confirm whether the owner has a complete authority over the land that you are willing to buy is too essential. There are many ways by which you could do it. The important ones are enlisted here:
1) Title – Checking the original deed of the land is the most important thing that you need to do in order to save yourself from any kind of fraud. Taking help of any legal person or lawyer for it could be the best option. Checking the ownership of the land is also important. You could also ask for the previous deeds present with the owner along with the title deed.
2) Sale deed – It is the primary and important document to evidence and record your purchase. It is essential to note that a transfer of immovable property will be valid only if it is duly registered with the Registrar concerned.
3) Tax bills and receipts – The inquiry about property tax is also necessary before buying any kind of property. The knowledge about the clearance of all tax receipts is necessary.
4) Encumbrance Certificate – To check whether the land has any legal dues or not is a very important factor that needs to be considered before buying a property.
5) Measuring the land – Perfectly measuring the land with the help of surveyor is important factor to consider.
6) If you are purchasing the land from any NRI than you need to be ensure the third party to whom the power of Attorney has been assigned is genuine.
7) Agreement – A well written agreement for purchase should be made once you settle down with all the matters. It is done on a stamp paper and it is prepared by a lawyer.
Land Records in India are known by different names across states.
Following are popular names:
Andhra Pradesh – Adangal/ RTC/ Pahani
Bihar – Khasra/ Khata
Chhattisgarh – Khasra/ Khatauni
Goa – Land Records
Gujarat – 7/12 or Satbara
Haryana – Jamabandi/ Fard
Himachal Pradesh – Jamabandi
Jharkhand – Khata/Khasra/ Khatian
Karnataka – RTC or Pahani
Madhya Pradesh – Khasra/ Khatauni
Maharashtra – 7/12 or Satbara
Orissa – RoR (Record of Rights)/ Khatian
Pondicherry – Land Records
Punjab – Jamabandi/ Fard
Rajasthan – Jamabandi
Tamil Nadu – Patta/ Chitta/ Adangal
Tripura – Land Records
Uttar Pradesh – Khata/ Khasra/ Khatauni
Uttarakhand – Khata/ Khatauni
West Bengal – Khatian and Plot Information